Perfect mix of modern and baroque
Schloss Klessheim, or better Salzburg Casino, counts itself among the most spectacular gambling locations in Europe. The Castle, turned into a Casino, dazzles by its resplendence and also by its longstanding history.
Schloss Klessheim is a Baroque Palace, situated four kilometers west off Salzburg, which is Mozart’s birthplace, a site that attracts 6.7 million tourists every year. A former residence of Salzburg Archbishop, the Castle is now a Casino. The location is indeed special for the gambling lovers – it features 177 slot machines and 22 gaming tables. Here, the players can go from American Roulette, Black Jack, Hold’em to Tropical Stud Poker, Roulette and many others. The Casino is open all-year round, except on December 24.
Besides the wide range of games, Salzburg Casino gives the opportunity of an unforgettable scenery and entertainment, such as fashion shows and original exhibitions. The Palace also hosts a ritzy restaurant and two first-class hotels, Auersperg and Mercure Salzburg City.
Host for world personalities
Schloss Klessheim is one of Johann Bernjhard Fischer von Erlach’s achievements, the greatest Baroque architect in Austria. The Casino perfectly blends the modern and Baroque art styles. The building was inaugurated in 1934, closed during the WWII and reopened in July 1950.
In 1803, when Salzburg was secularized, Klessheim Palace fell to the Austrian Royal House, Habsburg-Lorraine. In 1866, it became the permanent residence of Archduke Ludwig Viktor of Austria (1842–1919), the younger brother of Emperor Franz Iosif I.
The Archduke lived and died at the Palace in 1919. His heirs sold the Palace to the Austrian state.
Following Austria annexing, German dictator Adolf Hitler moved closer to the Palace, in Berghof.
The Castle used to hold conferences and host officials, such as Miklos Horthy, Ion Antonescu, Jozef Tiso and Ante Pavelic. While Horthy was staying at the Palace on March 19, 1944, Hitler gave orders for Operation Margarethe, which meant to deport the Hungarian Jews to Auschwitz.
During the Cold War, the Austrian authorities used Schloss Klessheim Castle for conferences and accommodation for international guests, such as Richard Nixon. On his way to Moscow, he met here with Chancellor Bruno Kreissky, on May 20, 1972.