Established in the northern part of the “Dimitrie Ghica” Park, the Sinaia Casino is today one of the symbol edifices of the resort.
The imposing building was built in record time, during one year (1911-1912), on the land where the villa Ghica was once built, which was also the first residence villa of the resort, erected by Prince Dimitrie Ghica. The Sinaia casino had its main shareholder Baron de Marçay, who was also a shareholder at the Monte Carlo Casino that is why it was speculated that this building would be the true copy of the French building.
The grand opening of the Casino was considered as an important event, that is why the authorities of the times asked Alexandru Davilla, a distinguished personality in the field, to present a great show on the big stage attended by the royal family and Titu Maiorescu, then Prime Minister of the country .
The memorable evening continued with an emotional recital by George Enescu and ended with fireworks.
At the time roulette games, card games, rummy, chess, table games were very popular.
At 4pm, when the game rooms opened, the players were coming by train from Bucharest, traveling on Saturdays and Sundays. The flow of the players at that time was 600 to 800 people each day.
Roulette games were held at 13 tables in the Great Hall of Mirrors lighted with crystal chandeliers.
The smaller room, “la salle privée”, had only two tables at which the minimum stake was five times higher than in other halls.
After the Second World War, the Ministerial Commission for Economic Recovery and Monetary Stabilization has decided to pass some objectives, including the Sinaia Casino, owned by Eforia of Civil Hospitals to state ownership.
The casino, as a venue for gambling will be closed, and the space used for some time by the Red Cross Society for humanitarian purposes. During the following years, the Casino became the House of Culture of the Sinaia Union.
Having now another profile, the building will host the city’s library, various artistic circles, and will host many cultural events, including: theater, folklore, concerts.
In 1978, the casino was designed for protocol activities; in February 1990, it was transferred to the Ministry of Culture and, after a few days, to the Ministry of Tourism. Subsequently, in 1995, the casino passed to the State Protocol Administration.
Nowadays, with an interesting history to say the least, with a unique architectural style, the monument is subordinated to the Sinaia City Council and accommodates the International Conference Center. In addition to the parking lot behind the building, storage rooms, a terrace with a great view of the city and the Bucegi Mountains and a superb interior garden, the modern profile has 13 spaces to host corporate events, personal events, guided tours and exhibitions of temporary and permanent art.