The first casino in Constanta was built in 1880, in the same area of the city, notably near the Genoese Lighthouse. It was called Kursaal and was built predominantly of wood.
The place of Kursaal was taken by the Casino, also on Regina Elisabeta Boulevard, on the current site of the Aquarium.
The third and new Casino of Constanta was designed by architect Daniel Renard in Art Nouveau style. The birthday of the emblematic building is a contract concluded on July 23rd, 1903 by liberal mayor Cristea Georgescu with the architect Daniel Renard for the design of the new Casino.
The political color of the administration changed quite often at the beginning of the 20th century. Selected by the Liberals to build this building, Renard is removed when the Conservatives came to power in 1905. The design of the Casino was then handled by the architect Petre Antonescu. In his view, the casino had a theater role. But the return of liberals to power between 1907 and 1908 makes Renard reinstate his Art Nouveau style.
The superb building was inaugurated on August 15th, 1910, in the presence of Prince Ferdinand. It was the largest such edifice on Romanian territory.
The ground floor had a generous reception hall, a staircase in three ramps towards upstairs. On one side of the stairs there was a sanitary group and the administrator’s office. Further to the north, there were wardrobe spaces, a buffet with kitchen, reading room, dressing room, two game rooms and a billiards table. Upstairs, it was the auditorium.
On August 20th, 1916, when the bombings on Constanța began, the Casino was used by Cucea Rosie as a field hospital. On November 19th, 1917, the Casino became operational again. In 1934, Daniel Renard was called for casino repairs. Since 1941, the Casino has become the host for German troops that have been staying in the beautiful seafront edifice. Again, the Casino suffered from the bombing, but was renovated in 1951. Since 1948, the Casino hosted the House of Culture of the Trade Unions, and between 1960 and 1989 it belonged to ONT Litoral. The last major repair of the Casino was made between 1986 and 1988.
In 2007, the Casino was concessioned by Constanta City Hall, for a period of 49 years, to Queen Investments SRL, which owns a network of luxury casinos worldwide, including Romania.
But the company, which had announced investments of nine million lei only in the first five years, gave up this project.
Soon, Elena Udrea, the Minister of Regional Development and Tourism, took over the Casino to rehabilitate it, but it was not long before the construction returned to the local authority administration, since it had been more than a year since it was taken over by the ministry and the works had not begun. In March 2013, Constanta County Council President Nicușor Constantinescu announced that the financing for the rehabilitation of the casino has been approved and the works will be carried out with European funds.
Also former mayor Radu Mazăre tried different ways to collaborate for the rehabilitation of the casino. But everything remained at the project stage.