Over Peste

Over 700 visitors to Nevada have tested positive for COVID-19 since casinos reopened in June, according to newly released state data.

The Department of Health and Human Services reported that as of Oct. 3, at least 712 visitors had tested positive for the novel coronavirus either while in the state or soon after returning home. The data dates back to June 1; casinos reopened June 4.

Southern Nevada alone has seen more than 5.7 million visitors since June, the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority reports.

Until now, the state-released visitor data ran through only mid-August. At that time at least 530 visitors had tested positive for COVID-19.

The vast majority of the visitors tested positive while they were in Nevada. As of Oct. 3, the state knows of only 21 who have tested positive after they returned home, an increase of 10 cases since data was last released.

Nevada health officials have said they only find out about visitor cases discovered outside the state if the visitor’s home state notifies them. So far, Nevada has been notified of such cases in Arizona, California and Ohio.

Among Nevada residents, over 110,000 cases had been identified throughout the state’s outbreak as of November 9.

Gov. Steve Sisolak, speaking during a press conference on November 10 at the state Capitol, told reporters the state “must see a significant reversal of the current trends” in order to keep the state’s economy up and running. He also asked local governments to step up enforcement of the state’s existing COVID-containment measures and urged employers to allow telework whenever possible — all in order to “mimic” much stricter shelter-in-place orders issued at the start of the pandemic.

Sisolak has issued Nevadans a clear ultimatum: Shape up in two weeks, or expect steps toward another shutdown meant to halt a recent surge in coronavirus cases.

Maybe you are also interested in the news from HERE.